CERTIFIED MEDICATION AIDE
(75 clock hours)
Classroom and clinical experiences will provide you with the skills necessary to administer oral and topical medication in a safe and accurate manner. Upon successful completion of the course, you are eligible to take the Kansas Nursing Medication Aide test.
What is a CMA (Certified Medication Aide)?
Typically, a CMA works in a long-term care facility, administering medication and help observe how patients are reacting to their treatments.
Cost of Class: $800.00
Things you’ll still need to get (All items can be purchased in our bookstore):
Administering Medications, Pharmacology for Healthcare Professionals - Donna F. Gauwitz
& Navy Blue Scrubs
CMA Classes We Offer:
Thursday-Friday (6 Weeks)
7:00am – 2:30pm
** Depending on class size, some students may be scheduled to do their clinicals during different times **
Requirements for CMA Enrollment
- Must be an ACTIVE Certified Nurse Aide in Kansas
- Must be at least 18 to enroll in this class
- A $400.00 down payment is required upon enrollment
- In the laboratory and clinical experience, you will be expected to have physical strength that includes the ability to push and pull 50 lbs., support 50 lbs., lift 50 lbs., move light objects weighing up to 10 lobs., move heavy objects weighing from 11 to 50 lbs., and carry up to 25 lbs., to frequently stop/kneel/crouch and stand or walk as needed.
- If there are any medical conditions or disabilities you feel might affect your ability to participate in class and clinicals, or requires any special accommodation, please let us know upon enrollment.
Requirements for First Day
- Negative TB Skin Test (within last 12 months) or chest X-ray (within last 5 years)
- Copy of Drivers License or valid photo identification
- Students will need to wear navy blue scrubs for class and clinicals
- You will need your books on your first day
- On first day, student must take the Work Keys test and score at least a 4 before starting the course. KCN will administer this.
- If you would need to retake it, there will be a $10 fee for every additional test.
State Exam for Certified Nurse Aide
- Kansas College of Nursing will notify you of your state testing date and time. You must successfully pass our Certified Medication Aide Class before you are eligible to test. The state exam is regulated and written by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.
- The cost of the exam is $40.00, which is collected with your tuition payment. All fees are non-fundable once the course is completed. If you miss the exam, you will be responsible to pay a fee of $20.00 to reschedule with the State of Kansas.
- YOU MUST BE ON TIME. The time and location of the exam will be provided for you on a testing form after you complete the class.
- Each candidate has a total of three attempts with 12 months from the beginning date of the course to successfully complete the state test.
- ALL FEES ARE NONREFUNDABLE.
The following is a Notice from the Health Occupations Credentialing Office
- Medication aides will have one year from the date of their medication aide certification expires to take the update course. If the course is not taken within one year of the certification expiration date, the entire medication aide course must be retaken.
- Health Occupations Credentialing will no longer issue certification cards for nurse aides, home health aides or medication aides. Any required certification information is available on the Kansas Nurse Aide Registry at www.ksnurseaidregisrty.org. There is no federal or state requirement that an individual possess a physical certification card only that they are listed on the state nurse aide registry with a certification which is active and with no prohibitions.